Hunter

Hunter
A true gentleman

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Talking tail

Deacon, the Curly-Coated Retriever has a very expressive tail. Yes, it can sweep everything off the coffee table (which is why I don't have one). Yes, it can leave a bruise if it swipes me when he is very excited. But his tail says it best when it whispers. Using just the 3 inch tip, his tail can tell me he is hopeful, or excited that I might have a cookie for him.

I think the tip of his tail only talks to me - with the other dogs, he uses his full tail to express himself.

I love to tease the tip of his tail. I can whisper to him under my breath and his tail starts 'listening' in anticipation. First, I can almost see the hair on the tip flick, then barely a half inch will peek up. Finally, he is tentatively wagging the full 3 inches of the tip. Ultimately, when he can contain himself no longer and he springs up, his entire tail is thumping and I wonder if I should brace myself for a full body hug. Of course, when he is super excited, he wags his entire rear end and the tail just follows.

Today's Q & A:

The number one question I get about the Curlies is "What kind of dog is that?" The number one response to my answer is "I've never heard of them, a Curly Lab?" I explain that the Lab and the Curly are distinctive breeds and are not related to each other, the Curly predating the Lab. And no, that isn't a Lab head, it is a retriever head. This last does seem to help.

No comments: